Author Topic: Solange wants me to introduce "Newsroom" If you don't know about it already.  (Read 3025 times)

Deb

• Raid Leaders
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The Newsroom - America is not the greatest country in the world anymore...(Restricted language)

chezit

• Undead
    • View Profile
this is awesome, definitely going to start watching it. The man speaks the truth there.

Cadavera

• Officers
  • Hero
  • No business like H20 business
    • View Profile
Its a solid show, but for Aaron Sorkin I still prefer the first several seasons of West Wing. Some of the best TV I've ever watched.

Raduk

• Officers
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The United States is still the land of opportunity.  We have the highest GDP, the most billionaires, publish the most books.  We're the most innovative being the largest producer of both Wind and Nuclear power.  We invest more in other countries than any other country in the world and they invest in us more than any other country in the world.  We are the world's largest importer.  That makes us the center of the global economy.  This country would be a nightmare to invade.  We have the best infrastructure in the world with more length of roads and railways than anywhere else combined with the fact that we have the most guns and the most guns per capita.

You can't  #1 in EVERYTHING.   The first guy had it right though.  Freedom.  You would be surprised in some of the freedoms you have to give up living in a few of those countries that Sorkin listed off.

Hey look there is a lot of room for improvement don't get me wrong but this is still the best country on Earth. 

If I was in that room I would have simply asked him, if American isn't #1 anymore then who is?     

Deb

• Raid Leaders
  • Hero
    • View Profile
we have the most guns and the most guns per capita.

Something funny about this. Is Switzerland has more guns /per person/ than anywhere else in the world haha. I believe it is still considered one of the safests countries in the world because of it. Men ages 20 to 40 are required to have pistols and rifles loaded, unlocked and at the ready as a form of national defence.

...and here we are wanting more gun control =P

Raduk

• Officers
  • Hero
    • View Profile
It's a well know historical fact that both Germany and Japan were partially dissuaded from invading us because you would literally having to take farmhouse to farmhouse because the entire population could be armed.   I don't know how much that is the case anymore as I understand army infantry have become pretty damn advanced.

My view on gun control is we need a better gun; one that doesn't kill people.  Gun makers should be focusing on creating weapons that are more effective than handguns at defending yourself.  Tasers are close! Once you create a weapon that is better than a gun at protecting yourself; I think the other stuff just works itself out.

But really the question of course is Syria.... 

dinkus

• Class Leaders
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The first guy had it right though.  Freedom.  You would be surprised in some of the freedoms you have to give up living in a few of those countries that Sorkin listed off.

if American isn't #1 anymore then who is?   

Just started watching this show recently, and those exact thoughts popped into my head as well.  I knew nothing about the show before I started watching it other than it had Jeff Daniels and it was going to involve news somehow, but it's a little more drama-heavy than I anticipated, but overall very enjoyable and Charlie is hilarious, especially in his exchanges with Will.
Paulpaul - Buick - Dentalplan - Bazookas - Remnar - Fingledorf - Gorp - Dinkus - Ziggula - This

Jrail

• Undead
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • twitch.tv
watch 'In the Loop' its a movie that has the cast from 'The Thick of it'. And its satyr on how a simple interview can be blown up by media and hot head politicians. My hero Malcom 'Fucking' Tucker (character) is in it.
"The final proof of greatness lies in being able to endure criticism without resentment."

"It is impossible until it's done" - N. Mandela

"Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better."

http://www.twitch.tv/jrailjin

Gravity

• Undead
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I like the show.  But I agree with Cad, the first few seasons of West Wing were Aaron Sorkin's best work thus far.
The hand that holds you down.

Juiceless

• Undead
  • Hero
    • View Profile
this is still the best country on Earth. 

?  And you base that on...?

Gravity

• Undead
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Solange wants me to introduce "Newsroom" If you don't know about it already.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »

It's a complex system, based mainly on major cities' residents being able to sleep at night after a Brazilian World Cup game.

The hand that holds you down.

Deb

• Raid Leaders
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Solange wants me to introduce "Newsroom" If you don't know about it already.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
It's a complex system, based mainly on major cities' residents being able to sleep at night after a Brazilian World Cup game.

Raduk

• Officers
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »

In this context just by the fact that you can't tell me who is better.

Juiceless

• Undead
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »
In this context just by the fact that you can't tell me who is better.

Lol.  I vote for Canada the. And the Netherlands.

Razziel

• Undead
  • Hero
  • "I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
I love all of Aaron Sorkin's work, with The West Wing being one of my all time favorite shows.  The monologue at the beginning of Newsroom is priceless and hooks you in.  I love all the witty fast paced intellectual conversations that take place constantly in his writing.  Sometimes you need to set aside your own political opinions and just remember it is a TV show and enjoy the entertainment.